Marker based IGRT for breast
OCT 10, 2019
Do you also foresee an increased use of fiducial markers in breast?
- Accelerated Partial-Breast Irradiation (APBI) offers several benefits, including reduced treatment time, reduced health care cost, and spared healthy tissue.
- The patient group deemed suitable for APBI was expanded (from >60 years to >50 years) in 2017 in the ASTRO Evidence-Based Consensus Statement.
- Even for Whole Breast Irradiation (WBI), ASTRO states that daily imaging may be used in patients at risk for less reproducible set-up.
- According to AAPM, the organ doses from image guidance can be reduced by a factor of 10 when using 2D kV imaging compared to 3D kV‐CBCT.
- It is common to mark the surgical cavity after lumpectomy with surgical clips that can be visualized on CBCT. Those clips may, however, not provide sufficient visibility for automated marker tracking systems. And it is sometimes also difficult to attach these markers to the tumor bed.
Gold Anchor offers many advantages:
- Easy implantation during surgery.
- Great tissue attachment due to the unique folding marker design.
- Excellent kV visibility, enabling kV positioning and automated marker tracking.
- Enhanced MRI visibility (alloy of gold and 0.5% pure iron) facilitating fusion of MR and CT images.
If you would be interested in trying our Gold Anchors, please let us know!
Vice President of Sales